CLIP: Congress works with the Cypherpunks!

Matthew J Miszewski MJMISKI at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 22 20:29:01 PDT 1993

Cypherpunks (or cryptoprivacy professionals) :-),

  Hey, some good news.  I just got some good information that the winds
in Congress are blowing our way.  In the latest "Communications Daily", the
House of Reps. Telecommunications Subcommittee Chair Markey (D-Mass)
has come out actively opposing the Wiretap Chip.  He gave several reasons,
most of them not technical but commercial.  I think he could use some technical
talking points too.  This could be important guys.  A chairman has mucho
power (albeit he is only a subcom chair, but he may be well connected).

  I will digest the article and post it for Eric to put it on the ftp site.
I will also get the vital info on this charming privacy advocate (Ill bet he
wears a suit too! ;^)

  This is an incredible window of opportunity.  Think, type, send but don't
overdo it.  This may be our only advocate.  But he may have Senator Kennedy's
ear.  I guess this will test the cypherpunk effectiveness quotient.  Progress.

Matt
mjmiski at macc.wisc.edu