What should be done.

treason at gnu.ai.mit.edu treason at gnu.ai.mit.edu
Thu Apr 22 14:52:14 PDT 1993

I agree as well that this mail is horrendous.  50+ mailings a day is a
troublesome thing.  I would like to suggest a method of mailing that
would be less pain to the mailer, and more useful for storing purposes.
I suggest we start an archive.  All mail sent to the list in one day
is put within this archive, and mailed ONCE per day.  Sure this mailing
would be rather large, and you may have to wade though alot of stuff that
may be uninteresting to you to get to what you want to see, but you could
store it in temp, and use vi on it or something...it would be a minor
inconvienience.  Much more livable than what we have now.  I have seen a
great list done in this same way.  It has the mail header for the list,
an index of all articles subjects within at the start, and then basically
each article stored linearly with mail headers intact.  For those who have
seen the archive for the Ultrasound Digest, you know what Im talking about.
I suspect that the individual running the list has an automation program
generating this Digest each day, and mailing it when the time is appropriate.
There are examples of this digest on archive.epas.utoronto.ca in
/pub/pc/ultrasound/digest for those of you who want to see what it looks like.
I would be happy to consult the list moderator and beg for the software in the
lists best interest if we get a good number of wants.

treason