The Wiretap Chip and the reaction so far

Peter Baumbach baumbach at atmel.com
Wed Apr 21 17:00:53 PDT 1993

I have been suprised at how wide the knowledge of the Wiretap Chip has
spread. (and how quickly!)  My mom even heard about it before I could
tell her.  Most of the people I've talked to don't like the idea of
the gov't having the keys.  These people came to this conlusion on their
own.  The sources of their information might be biasing their view. :-)
I heard a commentary on National Public Radio that was against it!

Keep up the fight.  It's not a loosing battle.

There is also a bright side to this battle.  Look at all the free publicity
that privacy has gotten.  Our gov't has given ground in the early rounds
of the negotiation by stating there is a right to encryption.  They want to
completely control that right to encryption, and this we will fight and win.

-----tactic

I recommend telling people about the freedom and privacy gained in other
countries by their use of PGP.  Tell them that the secret police can no
longer spy on their citizens as effectively.

privacy == freedom
no privacy == tyranny

Peter Baumbach
baumbach at atmel.com