Meets 'n Greets (IRC Meetings Maybe?) -- Internet audio?

John Gilmore gnu
Wed Apr 21 11:17:43 PDT 1993

We could set up an encrypted `vat' audio session between the locations.
Cygnus has T1 connectivity to the Internet.  Someone would need
to provide a good self-powered speaker to plug into the Sun audio
port (a standard mini phono plug).  We have a microphone that will possibly
work, though we should run some tests before the meeting.

Cygnus does not have multicast support, so we can't feed the `mbone'
(multicast backbone) with it, but we can attempt one or several
point-to-point links.

`vat' runs on Suns and is available from ftp.ee.lbl.gov or
ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/vat.1.56.tar.Z.  It's `Van's Audio Tool',
unfortunately available only in binary.  Its encryption option
requires that the participants agree on a key in advance, and type it
into each workstation at the time of the conference.

	John Gilmore