Objections...

Peter Wayner pcw at access.digex.com
Tue Apr 20 05:21:01 PDT 1993

I think one very serious objection to the SkipJack system is
that the secrecy prevents us from coming up with Software implementations
of the system. Naturally, they don't want that to happen because
people start finding easy ways to screw up the encrypted block of
key information needed by the government. But regardless of that,
software implementations of DES have been extremely useful for
everyone. There is probably 10 times as much encryption done using
software DES than hardware. Maybe 1000 times as much.

The fact is that software protection is much easier for the public
to use. They don't need to buy an extra chip for their computer.
They just run some software. It's cheaper. More populist.

I think this is the most practical and non-inflamatory argument
for public access to the algorithm.

-Peter Wayner