Fighting the Wiretap Chip Plan

hkhenson at cup.portal.com hkhenson at cup.portal.com
Mon Apr 19 00:21:09 PDT 1993

When this "Clipper chip" story broke, I was off on an extropian (if
not cypherpunk) activity--helping freeze Alcor's 27 patient (another
HIV+ case.)

I doubt I am the strongest hardware person on these groups, but nobody
else has commented on this aspect.  You just *can't* make chips
entirely resistant to reverse engineering.  I know, I have spent close
to 10% of my engineering career reverse engineering things.  Given
time and a few samples, *any* chip can be reverse engineered.  This is
especially true with tools such as SEM stimulator/state readers and
Focused Ion Beam chip slicers and dicers widely available.  *Somebody*
will dig out every gate in their spare time.  Thus the following
statement looks very odd:

>Q:   How strong is the security in the device?  How can I be sure
>     how strong the security is?
>
>A:   This system is more secure than many other voice encryption
>     systems readily available today.  While the algorithm will
>     remain classified to protect the security of the key escrow
>     system,

Say what?  Does this mean that if somebody slices up a chip and
publishes the algorithm the "security of the key escrow system" is
broken?  Can a representative of the government say why, or if, this
is the case?  If it is not the case, why not publish the algorithm and
be done with it?  Because, soon as the chip can be bought over the
counter or stolen, the algorithm will be deduced.

>             we are willing to invite an independent panel of
>     cryptography experts to evaluate the algorithm to assure all
>     potential users that there are no unrecognized
>     vulnerabilities.

Well, unless the "independent panel" includes people who can follow
the algorithm all the way through to silicon, I would not trust their
report even if I trusted the experts, and that goes double for the
next set of masks.

Keith Henson