Amiga programmers.

Haywood J. Blowme psionic at wam.umd.edu
Sun Apr 18 16:18:11 PDT 1993

A curious thought occurred to me several months ago, and it was recently
brought up again when someone mentioned doing it on IBM's with
soundblasters.

This idea has been sitting basically on the back burner for a while now. But
now with the current climate (Wiretap chip proposed) I think it is relevant.

This idea basically applies to Commodore Amiga computers. So if you are a
programmer and would like to help me with this please E-Mail me about it.

The basic idea I think would need the following:

- A sound digitizer
- High speed modem
- 68020 or above processor (for speed purposes)
- Good encryption algorithm (IDEA for example)

Implementing the system would involve using the digitizer to digitize the
voice. Then processing the sample (in real time) through the encryption
algorithm and sending the output to the modem for transmission. The process
would be repeated on the other end.

The problems I see occurring are the following

- Speed of the computer affecting real time encryption
- Synchronizing the data packets for accurate decryption on the other side.
- simultaneous I/O on the serial and parallel ports(for modem and digitizer)
- outputing to speakers on receiving end.
- having the whole process operate in a full duplex mode (ie. both people
  can talk at the same time).

I think the majority of functions can be handled by the system libraries and
outside sources (such as xpkidea.library for encryption).

Does this sound feasible??

      ///    | psionic at wam.umd.edu | Q: How did the govt. decide to use an 80
 __  /// C=  | Craig H. Rowland    |    bit key for the new clipper chip?
 \\\/// Amiga| PGP Key Available   | A: They combined Bill and Hillary
  \///  1200 | by finger.          |    Clintons' IQ's.