Wiretapping chip

Nick Szabo szabo at techbook.com
Sun Apr 18 02:07:06 PDT 1993

I agree we should write letters, but not (or not just) to government
officials.  Consider targetting the big phone makers -- both domestic
and overseas.  Let them know our privacy needs as customers -- that
we want secure encryption, that means encryption with _published
algorithms_ and without having the key available to _any_ third party,
be it the U.S. or any other government, or any nontrustworthy private
organization.  I almost agree with Sandy that "we've won", but an important
part of the market process that brings such victory is giving
good customer feedback to communications suppliers.

Also for consideration: boycott AT&T and all other companies making
phones with the wiretap chip, and let the phone makers know about
the boycott early and often.

Also I am curious specifically how (a) encrypted international
phone calls and (b) foreign-made phones will fair under this
proposal (or possible follow-on proposals when they see the
weak points in this one).  Can the U.S. government dictate
key registration to the world?

I agree with Perry that "cypherpunks" is a bad label when
these kinds of issues get raised in public, and would also add
"crypto-anarchy" to that.   Our main "talking point" is privacy,
and other less popular stuff is best kept -- private.

Nick Szabo					szabo at techbook.com