repost from sci.crypt

Marc Horowitz marc at Athena.MIT.EDU
Sat Apr 17 18:52:23 PDT 1993

I just posted this to sci.crypt.  You conspiracy theorists out there
are probably going to start getting ulcers soon.

		Marc

From: marc at mit.edu (Marc Horowitz N1NZU)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: The source of that announcement
Date: 18 Apr 1993 01:19:38 GMT

The message from the NIST about the clipper chip comes from the
following address:

	clipper at csrc.ncsl.nist.gov (Clipper Chip Announcement)

Just who is that, I asked myself, or rather, I asked the computer.

    % telnet csrc.ncsl.nist.gov 25
    Trying...
    Connected to csrc.ncsl.nist.gov.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 first.org sendmail 4.1/NIST ready at Sat, 17 Apr 93 20:42:56 EDT
    expn clipper
    250-<csspab at mail-gw.ncsl.nist.gov>
    250-<denning at cs.georgetown.edu>
    250-<hoffman at seas.gwu.edu>
    250-<mkapor at eff.org>
    250-<rotenberg at cpsr.org>
    250-<rivest at mit.edu>
    250-<mhellman at stanford.edu>
    250-<alanrp at aol.com>
    250-<dparker at sri.com>
    250-<jim at rsa.com>
    250-<branstad at tis.com>
    250 <mgrsplus at csmes.ncsl.nist.gov>
    quit
    221 first.org closing connection
    Connection closed.

Well, isn't that interesting.  Dorothy Denning, Mitch Kapor, Marc
Rotenberg, Ron Rivest, Jim Bidzos, and others.  The Government, RSA,
TIS, CPSR, and the EFF are all represented.  I don't suppose anybody
within any of these organizations would care to comment?  Or is this
just the White House's idea of a cruel joke on these peoples' inboxes?

		Marc
--
Marc Horowitz N1NZU <marc at mit.edu>				617-253-7788