Big Brother: Public Escrow is Needed

Harry Shapiro habs at Panix.Com
Sat Apr 17 06:47:32 PDT 1993

All the talk about Escrowing of keys by sepeerate agencies is all
well and good.

However, to be really secure, the computer system they reside on, and
all access to it, must be in some way very public and very very limited.

The public needs to know that at least one of the key-pairs, can in
no we be retrieved except through some very public process. That
law enforcement or some cracker doesn't have some back order into
teh Escrowed Key Server...

As as somebody else pointed out, once my key is know ALL my communication
is now "OPEN." Not just what they got a warrent for.

Thus, the actual opening of my "mail/voice/etc" should be done in more,
again very public place, so they my key-pair (and the cost of replacing
it if the warrent is unfounded) is kept secure and never in the hands
of any person or agency.

In other words, I don't want my key-pair sitting in a non-secured database,
to re-used latter (with or without a warrent.)

If the key-pair is turned over to someone/agency and I am not found
quilty or indicted, etc. I need to be told so I can change my keys,
or even have the government pay me for this cost as they have un lawfully
taken the value of my Clipper based device away from me.

/harry

Harry Shapiro  				      habs at panix.com
List Administrator of the Extropy Institute Mailing List
Private Communication for the Extropian Community since 1991