Key Registration and Big Brother--Time to Fight!

George A. Gleason gg at well.sf.ca.us
Fri Apr 16 19:30:03 PDT 1993

Instead of a conference call in clear voice, how about doing it online from
the various meetings, and encrypted?  What would it take to set up a
broadcast encryption system that will work in chat mode...?   A conference
call in clear voice is almost certain to be monitored, and I would bet that
it would yield a whole lot more high-grade intelligence than we would
usually expect: first of all, voices of all participants (for later use in
voiceprint recognition surveillance), second, all the background
discussions, and third, a lot of the kind of deliberation and
working-through-things that ordinarily gets filtered out by the process of
posting things to this list.

Yes, they can theoretically send visitors to our meetings.  But
realistically this is more labor intensive and potentially risky than
recording a conference call which has all the meetings on line.  Let's not
go leaving any huge holes, please...!

-gg