The New Mykotronix phones...

Peter Meyer meyer at mcc.com
Fri Apr 16 19:16:21 PDT 1993

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 14:54 CDT
    From: Peter Wayner <pcw at access.digex.com>

    Okay, let's suppose that the NSA/NIST/Mykotronix Registered
    Key system becomes standard and I'm able to buy such a system
    from my local radio shack. Every phone comes with a built in
    chip and the government has the key to every phone call.
    I go and buy a phone and dutifully register the key.

    What's to prevent me from swapping phones with a friend or
    buying a used phone at a garage sale? Whooa. The secret registered
    keys just became unsynchronized. When the government comes
    to listen in, they only receive gobbledly-gook because the
    secret key registered under my name isn't the right one.

Knowing nothing except what I've read on the net today, I suppose that
while scrambling the phone conversation the chip inserts in the data
stream some ID (perhaps once per second) to tell the govt. which chip is
doing the scrambling.  This would allow multiple trapdoor keys (as
claimed) and also there would be no need for phone users to register.
The chip might also insert the number of the phone originating and/or
receiving the call, though presumably the wiretappers would already know
this.

-- Peter Meyer