Proposal for anon chaining

Joe Thomas jthomas at coconut.mitre.org
Fri Apr 16 09:27:24 PDT 1993

KINNEY WILLIAM H <kinney at spot.colorado.edu> writes:

> Recent traffic on anonymous remailers/servers:
>

> >From:  Eli   <ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu>
> >> From: Hal <74076.1041 at CompuServe.COM>
> >> This method of posting does not allow you to receive replies.  I
have set
> >> "nicknames" for these two accounts as "Untraceable account"
which will appear
> > >in the "From" line on the postings.  Hopefully that will offer a
clue that
> > >the normal reply mechanism doesn't work.  Maybe the nickname
should say so
> >> more explicitly?
> >

> >The security provided by this technique could be provided without
> >the IMHO serious disadvantage of having no return address.  Eric's
> >hybrid approach, where a pseudonym server hands mail to an
remailer
> >chain, is secure (barring sophisticated traffic analysis) if you
> >trust the last remailer in the chain.  Julf, have you thought
about
> >whether you want to do something like this?
>

> > Hal
>

> Here's an idea I haven't seen suggested before, which would remove
the need
> for a pseudonym server:
>

> [Description of chain-encrypted header info, separated from message
text]

> This seems to me to be a very robust pseudonymous mail system which

> could be implemented by relatively minor changes to the existing
Cypherpunk

> remailer structure. It has the additional advantage of being
decentralized

> and maintenance-free.  It could be used for pseudonyms on net news,
e-mail,

> wherever, and could presumably be integrated in some way into
Julf's

> anon server.

Yes, this would seem to be the way to do this, and this type of
nested-encrypted routing information is what I was referring to as an
"SASE" in my front-end/back-end anonymous posting design.  There are
some drawbacks, however.

Traffic analysis by watching a remailer's feed, and seeing messages
come in and go back out is much easier, since the message _text_ is
unchanged from one remailer to the next.  In fact, however, such
traffic analysis is not difficult with the present system, since
message lengths can be used to correlate messages going in and out,
and the remailers aren't getting enough traffic to do much internal
"mixing" to avoid obvious FIFO behavior.  The obvious solutions are a
remailing protocol that supports padding out messages to a few
"standard" lengths, and increasing the remailer traffic, perhaps with
dummy messages.

But this doesn't help in the above case, when routing information is
separate from message text, and not known to the sender (except for
the first hop).  One possible solution relies on the fact that each
remailer must know the next hop a message will take.  When the
remailer is forwarding mail with separately encrypted header
information, it will append some random bits to the message, then
encrypt it with the next remailer's public key.  (Note that if the
appending of random bits is skipped, the system provides no security
against traffic analysis, since the adversary can simply try
encrypting incoming messages with various remailers' public keys,
then watch to see if that message comes back out).

I've got some more ambitious ideas for this (encrypted return
addresses as a MIME content-type?), but I think the version outlined
above could be implemented pretty easily, although I admit I haven't
really read through the remailer scripts.  I'll take a crack at it as
soon as I get my Linux box (a couple weeks) if people think it's a
good idea.

Joe