REMAIL: cypherpunks strategy

Mike Sherwood mike at EGFABT.ORG
Mon Apr 12 12:14:20 PDT 1993

norm at netcom.com (Norman Hardy) writes:

> I just got around to Greg Broiles interesting note where he describes
> his practice of using several account names. He feels apologetic about it.
> Authors have used pen-names for a long time without opprobrium.
> The mathematician Eric Temple Bell wrote science fiction under the pen name
> "John Taine". Several authors have written different styles of works,
> one pen name per style. As I understand the law there is nothing illegal
> in using an alias as long as the purpose is not fraud, which is already
> illegal. One must protect the reputation of each alias.
> Where aliases are common negative reputations loose their bite but the
> benefits of positive reputations provide incentives for good behavior.

How does everyone else feel about the idea of maintaining multiple
accounts as a method of maintaining pseudo-anonymity?  I commonly use two
accounts on each of my systems, one by my real name, one by my alias,
which is the same everywhere.  The purpose of this is to allow me to send
or recieve mail to/from people who I know from other bbs's and such and
relay information in that way without giving them my real name.  as greg
pointed out, it's very easy to have multiple accounts; some of us run
sites that give us the ability to create pseudo-users, and pseudo-sites
for that matter, and others can make use of public bbs's with net access.
I know of a few bbs's in my area (silicon valley) that offer net access
and don't do any sort of validation, making it very simple to set up and
maintain multiple accounts.  How do people feel about doing something
like this rather than using remailers since it seems that a lot of
problems come up when people run remailers and start getting complaints?
-Mike

--
Mike Sherwood
internet: mike at EGFABT.ORG     uucp: ...!sgiblab!egfabt!mike