Real-time BBS Encryption??

Rusty Hodge rustman at netcom.com
Sat Apr 10 22:43:25 PDT 1993

> Here's the situation:  We all know that some advanced computer systems
> have real-time encryption built into all modem connections.  When a
> bank branch dials into the main office the entire transmission may be
> encrypted.  This occurs even between terminal connections and the host.

This is usually accomplished through an external "data encryption unit",
which is interfaced between the terminal (host) and modem. It is NOT in
software.

> I'm wondering if there is a way to do this with PCs?

Aside from those very expensive high-end boxes that banks use for
their sensative information, there was a DES encryptor made by Practical
Peripherals years ago.  It still may be available.