Smaller is better.

Paul Ferguson fergp at sytex.com
Tue Apr 6 19:28:27 PDT 1993

On Mon, 05 Apr 93 12:36:09 PST,
 Jonathan Stigelman <uunet!transam.ece.cmu.edu!stig> writes -

JS> Yeah....  So if your key can be snooped off the net, so can your
JS> cleartext.  To decript online, then, is akin to using only weak
JS> encription...which indicates only the desire for limited privacy.

JS> But if even if you do decript online, you're still protected from
JS> file snooping.

JS> What's needed is PGP decription built into your terminal program.

 I think that you guys are missing the point here. IMHO, if you wish
 maximum assurance of security, than I'd suggest not trying to run
 programs such as PGP on a multi-user system to begin with! What's
 wrong with using a PC for this? It offfers a maximum convenience,
 single-user secure system quite unlike the security problems
 associated with your university's mainframe.

 The PC offers the communications availability and the flexibilty to
 provide an extremely high level of privacy, if you know what you're
 doing.

 You should try it sometime ....

 Cheers.

Paul Ferguson                     |  "Sincerity is fine, but it's no
Network Integration Consultant    |   excuse for stupidity."
Centreville, Virginia USA         |                       -- Anonymous
fergp at sytex.com     (Internet)    |
sytex.com!fergp     (UUNet)       |
1:109/229           (FidoNet)     |
       PGP 2.2 public encryption key available upon request.