WB: public kiosks

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 6 18:00:45 PDT 1993

>Public kiosks are OK as a simple and moderately effective technique for
>assuring anonymity, and they're ideal for a security-naive person who
>is unable to verify the security of a more complex system.  But for
>my own use, I am much more confident in the security guarantee given by
>encryption on a portable computer and anonymizing using Chaum-style
>remailers...

Indeed. By definition, a public kiosk is in a public area, with open
access to all including the Bad Guy's agents and investigators. And
tracking people's physical movements in public places is an art that
investigators have had many years to refine and perfect. Many more
than, say, factoring large RSA public keys...

Phil