PGP help and comments.

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 6 16:39:24 PDT 1993

At 01:58 AM 4/4/93, Jim McCoy wrote:
>J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl at triton.unm.edu> writes:
>>
>> I would like to use pgp on the mainframes, but don't want to store my secret
>> key on their disks.
>This is even more dangerous than storing it on the disks of a multi-user
>machine.

I agree 100%. Security packages like PGP are meaningful only when you
have your own personal machine to run it on. Indeed, it would be nice if
PGP could somehow tell when it is being run over a network, and severely
warn the user when he is about to type something secret (like a passphrase).
I don't know of any clean way to do it, though.

Phil