PGP help and comments.

Nickey MacDonald i6t4 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca
Sat Apr 3 22:47:55 PST 1993

My comments below...

---
Nick MacDonald               | NMD on IRC
i6t4 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca  | PGP 2.1 Public key available via finger

On Sat, 3 Apr 1993, J. Michael Diehl wrote:

> I am really learning to love PGP, and I haven't even used it much yet! I'm
> insisting that all my friends get keys.  But....

I have been 'introducing' my friends to PGP too... I figure that its no
good if I have a key, but no one to use it with...  :-)  Its amazing how
many people will take the time to play with an interesting new toy...

> I would like to set up two secret keys for myself.  One 512 bits long and
> another 1024 bits long.  I'll distribute the short one.  I'll give the long
> one to trusted and close friends.  I'm having difficulty setting it up so that
> pgp defaults to using the short key to encrypt stuff.  Note that I want the
> same user id for both, but perhapse with a "secure" flag in the user id of the
> large key.  How can I do this?

I'm not too sure here... but PGP should default to using the newest
(youngest) key on you private key ring...  If you have two of them with
the same name, I'm not sure how you could choose other than the first...
The trick here might be to a a key size option to PGP, to say I want the
key that is (or is at least) n bits in size.

> Can we get someone to compile and distribute pgp for the amoeba, er, I mean
> Amiga? ;^)  My friend has one, but no C compiler.

I'll not get into computer wars...  I'll just say that I'll take an Amiga
over an IBM clone any day!  >;-)  As far as I can tell.. there are folx
out there that make sure the Amiga version goes public pretty soon after a
new version is released...  I've hade 2.2 since about 3 days after I knew
it was released...  There are a series on AmiNet "mirrors" all over the
world, the one that most IBM'ers would recognize right off being
wuarchive.wustle.edu (128.252.135.4) in /pub/aminet/util/crypt.

> Some suggestions for future versions...

I have some options on some of your ideas, but I'll save them for another
post at another time..  :-)