PGP vs RSA

Jim McGrath MCGRATH at elec.canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 31 19:24:20 PST 1992

The other day someone mentioned that PGP uses a patented algorithm. If this
is the case, then what is the difference between using it and the also
patented RSA. From the little reading that I have done, it sounds like RSA is
a better protocol from the point of view of authentication etc. etc.

So, the question is, apart from the fact that PGP exists, and an RSA
implementation is not yet available, (to the best of my limited knowledge)
is there any reason why we shouldn't use it?

Jim McGrath

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.