Why I Don't Use PGP...

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Sat Oct 31 13:45:38 PST 1992

Tom Jennings writes:

> Not to brag, but my offline-reader (DOS version of a 'read news'
> program), as well as at least one other I know of, does a pretty good
> job of this. It handles the decrypted plaintext reasonably securely
> too. It does the decryption locally. (You have to manage your own
> keyrings externally, though of course keys embedded in messages are
> handled OK.)
>
> Solutions are out there.

I'm impressed. Maybe in 2-3 months this'll all shake out a bit, with a
Mac version (rumored to be in beta), more "push-button" PGP systems,
etc.

By the way, Tom has generously agreed to talk about PGP, mailers,
FidoNet, etc., at our Crypto session at Hackers. (I'll be sending out
a more complete status report soon.)

--Tim

(Also, I have changed the last line of my .sig to reflect my current
unwillingness to mail my PGP key to all of those who are asking for
it. Hopefully this will soon change.)

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | PGP Public Key: awaiting Macintosh version.