credibility & pseudonyms

Efrem Lipkin efrem at informix.com
Fri Nov 27 01:57:06 PST 1992

I have this persistent image of what a great boon all these
encrypted networks will be for undercover work. Currently when
some species of cop or spy goes undercover they take on a nearly
full time acting job. They have to work for a long time to
establish their credentials and throughout the process are usually
in significant physical danger. I vaguely remember (the details are
probably wrong) some Isreali spy got as far as the position of Minister
of Defense in Jordan before he got hung.

With digital signatures a dozen secretaries could run a hundred or more
pseudoagents, build a solid reputation for each over years.

The same approach would work for a patient con man.

Real credibility has to be tied to a physical body. Some thing
at risk.

--efrem