(fwd) A Silver Bullet to Limit Crypto?

Simson L. Garfinkel simsong at next.cambridge.ma.us
Thu Nov 12 07:24:57 PST 1992

Hi.  I'm new to this list.  Some people may know me.

> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 03:06:19 -0800
> From: George A. Gleason <gg at well.sf.ca.us>
> To: cypherpunks at toad.com, tcmay at netcom.com
> Subject: Re:  (fwd) A Silver Bullet to Limit Crypto?
>

> Now that the
> Dems are in power, we might consider tying the crypto key issue to the
> elimination of voter registration, on the basis that both voting and digital
> communication are forms of speech which should not be subjected to a
> chilling effect.

Good luck.  As a practicing journalist, I can say that there is no way that I
could make this argument in print.  Everybody understand voter registration.
There's support for the motor-voter bill.  I can't even explain cryptography in
the same amount of time that it takes to do an entire article on voter
registration.

There may be a theoretical connection between the two, but you'll never make
that argument outside a university.