Signing ascii text

Eric Messick eric at parallax.com
Mon Dec 28 11:19:24 PST 1992

Stephen D. Williams writes:

> How about two signatures, verbatim and space-collapsed.
>
> That way if the latter was valid but the former was not, you would
> know that spacing was altered but other info remained valid.
>
> sdw

This seems to be the correct solution to me.  If PGP did this
automatically in text signature mode, then it would be up to the
reciever to decide if spaces were significant or not, and they would
be prompted to think about this when the verbatim signature
verification failed.  If one often recieved messages with mangled
spacing, one could become desensitized to this, but there's not much
to be done about that.

-- eric messick
eric at toad.com