one-time-pad distribution for dc-nets

Yanek Martinson yanek at novavax.nova.edu
Sun Dec 13 15:42:04 PST 1992

As mentioned in my previous message, dc-nets need a one-time pad keystream.
Of the many methods of accomplishing this, for my experimental dc-net I
chose not the most secure method, but the simplest to implement.
Recognizing that dc-net users will want to use various key-distribution
mechanisms (true one-time pad, with the keys trasnfered over a secure
out-of-band channel, diffey-hellmann, etc) I designed the dc-net to be as
independent of the key distribution method as possible.  The dc-net just
reads the keystream from a file, and calls a program when it is about to
run out of keys, and needs more.

This message describes the method of key distribution I will use.  I assume
that all participants know each others' public keys, and have verified such
by independent means, or they are signed by mutually trusted certifiers.
PGP encryption is used to send randomly generated one-time pad.  Two
participants send keys to each other whenever the remaining key stream
reaches below an agreed-upon threshold, then the keys are combined in a
pre-determined way (no matter which one sent his message first, the result
will be the same).  Keys are transferred in large chunks, larger than the
normal message size, so that these trasfers would not have to be too
frequent.

MESSAGE FORMAT:

(messages are sent as signed, armored encrypted PGP messages)

  Subject: dc-net transmission

  <binary data follows>

ALGORITHM:

When remaining keystream for <userid> on dcnet <network> falls below
MINTHRESHOLD, increment keychunk number (n), generate CHUNKSIZE random
bits, encrypt and sign them, and send them to the other person.

Wait for the other participant's message.  Decrypt it, and verify the
signature.

Compare the two key chunks (the one you sent, and the one you received),
and order them by placing the one with lower value first.

Append them in the above order to the key file.

NOTES:

If both persons use the same MINTHRESHOLD and CHUNKSIZE, then they should
send their messages at approximately the same time, but there is no
guarantee of which one will arrive first.  If a keychunk is received before
one has been sent, one is generated and sent, and then compared to the
received key.

For the sake of simplicity, I will assume everyone will use the same
CHUNKSIZE and MINTHRESHOLD.  This is not a requirement, and the proper
operation of the system in now way depends on this.

The purpose of MINTHRESHOLD is to provide a safety margin, so that key
exchange would not interfere with the regular operation of the dc-net.

In choosing CHUNKSIZE and MINTHRESHOLD, the basic tradeoff is space versus
time.  Maximizing these values will reduce the number of transmissions,
possibly making more efficient bulk transmission methods possible.  But, it
will increase the storage requirements of each participant.

Each participant will need to store at most

(MINTHRESHOLD+CHUNKSIZE) * <number of participants>

Each participant will need to obtain new keys approximately every

RBSIZE/CHUNKSIZE of idle rounds, or MSGSIZE/CHUNKSIZE of messages
transmitted.

For this project I will choose a CHUNKSIZE of 75K, allowing for 600 idle
rounds, or 15 messages transmitted.

MINTHRESHOLD will be 150K.  The storage requirements will be about
2 megabytes of a net of 8 participants, or about 5 megabytes for a net
of 25 participants.

FUTURE ENCHANCEMENTS:

A more efficient bulk-transfer method may be used, such as dropping the
chunks off to a known ftp site.  As soon as the chunk is picked up, it is
deleted.  Many ftp sites have such "temporary", "incoming", or "dropoff"
directories.  Many sites could be agreed on, in case one fails.  All
participants should not use the same site, so as not to cause too much load
on any single machine.

Some method of randomizing the key transfer could be used, so all
participants would not run out of keys at the same time, causing
unneccessary load on the mail transport system.

If a broadcast medium is used, an efficient variant of Diffey-Hellmann
can be used, in which each participant needs to generate only one secret
random number, and publish the corresponding public value.  Then every one
can combine it with their secret value, in a way that results in each pair
of participants having a common secret key unknown to anyone else.

If feasible, one-time-pads can be transferred in person, using floppy
disks.

Again, I would appreciate any ideas, comments, suggestions at:

--
Yanek Martinson    mthvax.cs.miami.edu!safe0!yanek     uunet!medexam!yanek
this address preferred -->> yanek at novavax.nova.edu <<-- this address preferred