[communities] GGF Proposal Submission

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 18 16:38:47 CST 2005

yes, that's right. There's a lot to cover.

I need to leave Thursday, so Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday would be ideal.
(I'm not sure when these get organized.)

At 05:35 PM 11/18/2005 -0500, Geoffrey Fox wrote:
>Thank you
>I understand this replaces original submission
>
>foster at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>
>>proposers_name: Ian Foster
>>affiliation: Argonne Nat Lab & U.Chicago
>>email: foster at mcs.anl.gov
>>proposed_title: GT4 Status and Experiences
>>session_type: Talks + Panel
>>proposed_duration: 180 minutes
>>target_audience: Anyone interested in Grid technology
>>num_attendees: 50-100
>>abstract: Globus Toolkit version 4 (GT4) represents a significant advance
>>over earlier GT versions in terms of software quality, functionality, and
>>standards conformance. This workshop will provide an opportunity for
>>people both to learn about GT4 and to hear from groups working with it.
>>We will also present the latest features incorporated into the GT4 source
>>repository, the Globus roadmap outlining plans for future developments,
>>and the new GlobDev community development process.
>>synopsis: This community event will include five major sections:
>>
>>1) GT4 Overview and Status (~45 minutes)
>>
>>Quality has been a major emphasis during the 18 month development period
>>and in particular the 6 month alpa-beta period, in which over 150 people
>>participated. Functionality includes not only the GridFTP data movement
>>service, GRAM job submission and management service, Reliable File
>>Transfer service, Replica Location Service, Community Authorization
>>Service, OGSA Data Access and Integration, and MyProxy services included
>>in previous releases (although with multiple-order-of-magnitude
>>improvements in scalability in several cases) but also new services such
>>as a Workspace Management service (for dynamic accounts), Data
>>Replication Service, Grid Teleoperation Control Protocol service, and an
>>expanded set of Monitoring and Discovery services. In terms of standards
>>conformance, GT4 provides probably the most full-featured implementation
>>of Web services security available anywhere; a full-featured GridFTP
>>implementation; and support for the WS Resource Framework and WS-Notificati!
>>on specifications in C, Java, and Python containers.
>>

>>2) GT4 User Experiences (~60-90 minutes)
>>
>>I propose to invite ~6 participants if the event is scheduled. The
>>following are the sorts of people I am considering:
>>
>>* NIH\'s caBIG Cancer Bioinformatics Grid
>>* China Grid
>>* UK Belfast eScience Center
>>* TeraGrid
>>* NAREGI
>>* OGSA-DAI User
>>* Univa
>>
>>3) GT4 Roadmap Presesentation and Discusion (~30 minutes)
>>
>>We will present at GGF16 the first release of what is intended to be a
>>regularly updated \"Globus Roadmap\", which we intend as a mechanism for
>>both communicating Globus developer plans to the Globus user community
>>and soliciting feedback from that community.
>>
>>4) GlobDev Community Development Process (~15 minutes)

> [...]

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org