[communities] GGF Proposal Submission

foster at mcs.anl.gov foster at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 18 16:21:55 CST 2005

proposers_name: Ian Foster

affiliation: Argonne Nat Lab & U.Chicago

email: foster at mcs.anl.gov

proposed_title: GT4 Status and Experiences

session_type: Talks + Panel

proposed_duration: 180 minutes

target_audience: Anyone interested in Grid technology

num_attendees: 50-100

abstract: Globus Toolkit version 4 (GT4) represents a significant advance over earlier GT versions in terms of software quality, functionality, and standards conformance. This workshop will provide an opportunity for people both to learn about GT4 and to hear from groups working with it. We will also present the latest features incorporated into the GT4 source repository, the Globus roadmap outlining plans for future developments, and the new GlobDev community development process.

synopsis: This community event will include five major sections:

1) GT4 Overview and Status (~45 minutes)

Quality has been a major emphasis during the 18 month development period and in particular the 6 month alpa-beta period, in which over 150 people participated. Functionality includes not only the GridFTP data movement service, GRAM job submission and management service, Reliable File Transfer service, Replica Location Service, Community Authorization Service, OGSA Data Access and Integration, and MyProxy services included in previous releases (although with multiple-order-of-magnitude improvements in scalability in several cases) but also new services such as a Workspace Management service (for dynamic accounts), Data Replication Service, Grid Teleoperation Control Protocol service, and an expanded set of Monitoring and Discovery services. In terms of standards conformance, GT4 provides probably the most full-featured implementation of Web services security available anywhere; a full-featured GridFTP implementation; and support for the WS Resource Framework and WS-Notificati!
on specifications in C, Java, and Python containers.

2) GT4 User Experiences (~60-90 minutes)

I propose to invite ~6 participants if the event is scheduled. The following are the sorts of people I am considering:

* NIH\'s caBIG Cancer Bioinformatics Grid
* China Grid
* UK Belfast eScience Center
* TeraGrid
* NAREGI
* OGSA-DAI User
* Univa

3) GT4 Roadmap Presesentation and Discusion (~30 minutes)

We will present at GGF16 the first release of what is intended to be a regularly updated \"Globus Roadmap\", which we intend as a mechanism for both communicating Globus developer plans to the Globus user community and soliciting feedback from that community.

4) GlobDev Community Development Process (~15 minutes)

We are establishing a new Globus community development process, described at http://dev.globus.org. We will present this process at this meeting and solicit feedback from the audience.

5) General discussion (~30 minutes)

tech_requirements:

prereq_participants: The different talks will cover a range of material. Some will go into deep technical details, but in general we just expect general knowledge of, and interest in, Grid.

advertise_suggestion: Globus.org.
GridToday.
Primeur (sp?) in Europe.