[communities] GGF Proposal Submission

mpierce at cs.indiana.edu mpierce at cs.indiana.edu
Fri Aug 12 12:11:33 CDT 2005

proposers_name: Marlon Pierce

affiliation: Indiana University

email: mpierce at cs.indiana.edu

proposed_title: Building Geographical Information System Grids

session_type: Community forum

proposed_duration: 1/2 day

target_audience: Application scientists, technical experts, managers

num_attendees: 10-25

abstract: Geographical information systems (GIS) are beginning to play a prominent role in many Grid systems, including GEON, LAITS, LEAD, SERVOGrid, SCOOPs, and sever other efforts.  We propose to assemble a community forum that will include overview presentations and discussion from the aforementioned groups.  The purpose of this forum will be to increase awareness of GIS Grids and collaboration in community projects. Participants will be invited to submit publications to a special issue of refereed journal.

synopsis: Geographical information systems (GIS) are beginning to play a prominent role in many Grid systems, including GEON, LAITS, LEAD, SERVOGrid, SCOOPs, and sever other efforts.  We propose to assemble a community forum that will include overview presentations and discussion from the aforementioned groups.  The purpose of this forum will be to increase awareness of GIS Grids and collaboration in community projects. Participants will be invited to submit publications to a special issue of refereed journal.

Our goal in this forum is to focus on Grid and scientific computing requirements for GIS systems. We will solicit participation from the Grid community members listed above, and we will also put out a general call for participation to the Grid community.  Discussions of the applicability of various standards and software (such as from the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and ESRI, respectively) will be part of the forum discussions.

The format of the meeting will be 30 minute indvidual presentations from representative projects, followed by 1-2 panel discussions.

The community forum is best advertised through emails to appropriate GGF and other mailing lists.  The forum organizers will also extend personal invitations to appropriate groups. The example participant projects all include active GGF members, so we anticipate sufficient minimum participation.  We will also make efforts to contact relevent external groups, such as the OGC.

tech_requirements: Only standard a/v equipment is required.

prereq_participants: Participants should have some general familiarity with GIS systems.

advertise_suggestion: Mailing lists and web sites.