[communities] GGF Proposal Submission

lfm at psc.edu lfm at psc.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:27:04 CDT 2005

proposers_name: Laura McGinnis

affiliation: PGS-RG

email: lfm at psc.edu

proposed_title: Campus Grids

session_type: Workshop

proposed_duration: Full Day

target_audience: Managers, Implementers, Deployment Strategists

num_attendees: 50-100

abstract: Various grid communities have indicated the need for a full day of case studies from campus grid sites, describing their grids. The cases that will be presented should discuss how the grid came about, how they got funding and executive buy-in/support, what it\'s used for, etc. Each speaker will have a good block of time to present their grid, but the definition of \"campus\" is fairly broad. \"Campus\" may include enterprise and commercial grids, if they can demonstrate a campus-type perspective (rather than special-purpose only grids).

synopsis: GGF15 Workshop Proposal – Campus Grids

Workshop Description: PGS-RG (Production Grid Services) is looking to sponsor a full day of case studies from campus grid sites, describing their grids. Harvard (Jayanta Sircar) has offered to host this workshop on their campus, probably on Sunday, 2-October.  The cases that will be presented should discuss how the grid came about, how they got funding and executive buy-in/support, what it\'s used for, etc. We want to give each speaker a good block of time to present their grid, but we\'re pretty open about how the presenters define \"campus\". This leaves us open to include enterprise and commercial grids, if they can demonstrate a campus-type perspective (rather than special-purpose only grids). The full-day timeframe should give each grid 30-45 minutes to present their case study.

To follow up, then, we\'d like to host a series of panels at GGF15, to talk about commonalities across the grids - formation methodologies, recruiting applications, best/common practices, lessons learned & pitfalls, etc. The pre-GGF workshop talks should be pretty parallel; the panels at GGF would then cut across all of the grids, but addressing different issues in more detail.

We want to get a good cross-section not only of presentations, but also of participants, so part of the workshop planning will have to include outreach to campuses that might not traditionally attend GGF meetings.

a) When you want meeting and how long: We are proposing a full-day workshop on Sunday, 2 October 2005, the day before GGF15 opens. To facilitate logistics, Jayanta Sircar of Harvard University has offered to host the workshop on Harvard’s campus. This is close enough to the GGF venue that hotels and transportation should not be adversely complicated. We would request that GGF arrange for the conference rate at the hotels to include Saturday 1-October and Sunday, 2-October, to accommodate workshop participants.

b) How we or you advertise/estimate of interest: The calls for submissions and participation should be extended to all GGF members as well as sites involved in providing campus grids to their populations. A Call for Presentations should be extended via the GGF mailing lists, as well as other HPC and Grid media, in particularly HPCWire and GridToday. The CFP should also be sent to the Supercomputing (SCxx) and EDUCAUSE communities, to broaden the pool of contributions and participants.

We anticipate 50-100 attendees, based on past workshop experiences and the initial interest expressed for this topic.

c) Related meetings: In addition to the workshop prior to the opening of GGF, we would like to present a summary of the workshop at GGF and host a series of open discussions, for workshop participants to discuss in more detail specific aspects of providing production-quality campus grids.

d) Publication: The presentations and followup discussions will be summarized into a GGF informational document. A summary web page will be made available on the PGS-RG website, including
1)	Metadata about meeting (abstract etc.)
2)	Presentations
3)	Links to useful resources
4)	Comments on discussions
Further methods of disseminating workshop material and establishing a campus grids community may also be proposed as followup from the open discussions that will be held during the GGF conference. In particular, the workshop committee will be alert for opportunities to propose BOFs for later GGF meetings.

e) Workshop Committee:
•	Ian Foster, Argonne National Laboratory and The University of Chicago, GGF External Advisory Committee  - foster at mcs.anl.gov
•	Geoffrey Fox, University of Indiana, AD, Community Affairs - gcf at cs.indiana.edu
•	Laura McGinnis, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, Co-chair PGS-RG – lfm at psc.edu
•	Jayanta Sircar, Harvard University – jsircar at harvard.edu
•	Judith Utley, Old Dominion University, Co-chair PGS-RG – jputley at earthlink.net
•	David Wallom, Bristol University, Co-chair PGS-RG – david.wallom at bristol.ac.uk

The proposal review committee will be identified later.

tech_requirements: none

prereq_participants: none

advertise_suggestion: The calls for submissions and participation should be extended to all GGF members as well as sites involved in providing campus grids to their populations. A Call for Presentations should be extended via the GGF mailing lists, as well as other HPC and Grid media, in particularly HPCWire and GridToday. The CFP should also be sent to the Supercomputing (SCxx) and EDUCAUSE communities, to broaden the pool of contributions and participants.