[Co2-bof] CO2 BOF Proposal and start of a group charter

Sven van den Berghe Sven.vandenBerghe at uk.fujitsu.com
Tue Mar 17 12:06:43 CDT 2009

David,

  My talk took a broader view of the requirements than your proposal
and looked at the arguments for presenting the information to users of
the resources i.e. an API for the resource manager to present CO2
information as well as gather it. Something like the below
encapsulates these ideas:

In the light of environmental concerns (and carbon credits and other
policy tools) users of computer resources will, in the near future,
need to be able to make informed choices about the use of CO2 by these
resources. This requires visibility of the properties of the
underlying physical infrastructure to workload management systems and
hence the users of resources. Currently  within the data centre the
information exchange between users, workload management systems and
the underlying physical infrastructure that they are using for these
properties is very limited.

This group seeks to enhance this visibility of CO2, and other physical
properties, by proposing a standard information interchange format
between users, physical asset management system and a workload
management service. The information chain will build on existing
mechanisms such as Usage Records, Resource Usage Service and GRAAP.

Sven

Sven.vandenBerghe at uk.fujitsu.com
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
+44 208 606 4651

On 11 Mar 2009, at 11:45, David Wallom wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Below is text for the BOF proposal for OGF26 and Charter.
>
> Proposal
> ++++++++
> Within the data centre there is currently a very limited manner in
> which
> workload management systems are able to physically connect the tasks
> that
> they are managing with the underlying physical infrastructure that
> they are
> using.
> This group proposes a standard information interchange format
> between a
> physical asset management system and a workload management service.
> This
> will allow for greater visibility of the underlying physical
> infrastructure
> to WMS and hence the submitter of tasks, essential if we are to enable
> informed choices to be made by those that use resources against the
> backdrops of carbon credits and other policy tools.
> In the longer term it is intended that this could be the first step
> in an
> information chain that will include Usage Records etc.
>
> Charter & 7 Questions
> +++++++++++++++++++++
>
> 1. Is the scope of the proposed group sufficiently focused?
> We are aiming to define a simple interchange schema between WMS
> (both HPC
> style and VM management systems) and the underlying physical asset
> management systems.
>
> 2. Are the topics that the group plans to address clear and relevant
> for the
> Grid research, development, industrial, implementation, and/or
> application
> user community?
> This is part of the wider consideration about the importance of
> being able
> to ascertain with certainty the end resources on which a task was
> run, the
> physical characteristics of the system etc.
>
> 3. Will the formation of the group foster (consensus-based) work
> that would
> not be done otherwise?
> It is not know currently that this work would be done elsewhere.
>
> 4. Do the group's activities overlap inappropriately with those of
> another
> OGF group or to a group active in another organization such as IETF
> or W3C?
> Not currently known
>
> 5. Are there sufficient interest and expertise in the group's topic,
> with at
> least several people willing to expend the effort that is likely to
> produce
> significant results over time?
> We have 60+ attendees at the workshop at Catania and at least 8
> members are
> signed up to provide into to the BOF from both the commercial and
> academic
> [...]

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
 not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
 virus-free.