[Co2-bof] CO2 BOF Proposal and start of a group charter

David Wallom david.wallom at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 06:45:11 CDT 2009

Hello All,

Below is text for the BOF proposal for OGF26 and Charter.

Proposal
++++++++
Within the data centre there is currently a very limited manner in which
workload management systems are able to physically connect the tasks that
they are managing with the underlying physical infrastructure that they are
using.
This group proposes a standard information interchange format between a
physical asset management system and a workload management service. This
will allow for greater visibility of the underlying physical infrastructure
to WMS and hence the submitter of tasks, essential if we are to enable
informed choices to be made by those that use resources against the
backdrops of carbon credits and other policy tools.
In the longer term it is intended that this could be the first step in an
information chain that will include Usage Records etc.

Charter & 7 Questions
+++++++++++++++++++++

1. Is the scope of the proposed group sufficiently focused?
We are aiming to define a simple interchange schema between WMS (both HPC
style and VM management systems) and the underlying physical asset
management systems.

2. Are the topics that the group plans to address clear and relevant for the
Grid research, development, industrial, implementation, and/or application
user community?
This is part of the wider consideration about the importance of being able
to ascertain with certainty the end resources on which a task was run, the
physical characteristics of the system etc.

3. Will the formation of the group foster (consensus-based) work that would
not be done otherwise?
It is not know currently that this work would be done elsewhere.

4. Do the group's activities overlap inappropriately with those of another
OGF group or to a group active in another organization such as IETF or W3C?
Not currently known

5. Are there sufficient interest and expertise in the group's topic, with at
least several people willing to expend the effort that is likely to produce
significant results over time?
We have 60+ attendees at the workshop at Catania and at least 8 members are
signed up to provide into to the BOF from both the commercial and academic
spaces.

6. Does a base of interested consumers (e.g., application developers, Grid
system implementers, industry partners, end-users) appear to exist for the
planned work?
Yes we have a number of OGF participants that are running very large
infrastructures that would be users of the output from this work.

7. Does the OGF have a reasonable role to play in the determination of the
technology?
???

Please comment on the above so that we can get the BOF proposal written and
submitted ASAP. As PC Chair I would like someone to take ownership of this
(BOF proposal) in the longer term.

Regards

David