[Clouds-bof] Cloud workshop at OGF23

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer wulf at ogf.org
Fri Apr 11 14:58:41 CDT 2008

Dear all,

As discussed at OGF22, we are proposing a workshop entitled, "Exploring
Cloud Computing," for OGF23.  I understand the PC will be reviewing
proposals shortly and in anticipation of acceptance and/or additional
information necessary to allocate time for the workshop, I am soliciting
your feedback and suggestions.  Please let me know if you have
content/speaker suggestions at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Julie

Workshop title:

Exploring Cloud Computing Workshop

Cloud Computing is an important development with implications for future
data centers, clusters, Grids and Cyberinfrastructure (e-infrastructure).
Cloud computing extends the Grid model by focusing on attributes such as the
abstraction of infrastructure through the use of virtualization , self
service usage of applications and services, and the utility and monetization
of services .

Cloud implementations provide on ramping of applications and services and
focus on the ease of use for end users, providing abstraction of
infrastructure and application dependencies. Clouds also focus on providing
a customizable service level through dynamic infrastructure based on usage
requirements by end users. Clouds can be implemented with self management
for the infrastructure and resources that compose the cloud. Cloud
ecosystems can include additional cloud services around virtual storage,
image catalogs, and tooling.

Cloud Computing is fueled by dramatic growth in connected devices, real-time
data streams and the adoption of service oriented architectures and Web 2.0
applications, such as Mashups, open collaboration, social networking and
mobile commerce,

This session will explore the Cloud concept from a variety of points of
views and contain individual talks and a panel.

Format:

6-7 Talks at 20 minutes each

1 panel at 40-60 minutes