[cddlm] updated HP CDDLM server

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Fri Jun 16 09:02:48 CDT 2006

Ayla Debora Dantas de Souza - Projeto Ourgrid wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> we have performed our deployment API tests again and updated the test
> results available at:
> http://www.lsd.ufcg.edu.br/~ayla/cddlm/test_results_hp/
>
> Regards,
>  Ayla

excellent, thank you!

Ignoring WS-RF problems (which are strongly in the not-impemented
category), the main stopping point is that my current implementation
only supports addFile to file: urls , not http: ones. I can add the new
feature fairly quickly I suspect, with a new filestore that serves stuff
up to being locally visible over HTTP, and maybe externally retrievable too.

In production, I'd be biased towards file: URLs for two reasons

-you can trivially restrict access by userid
-a good network filesystem is available to everything in the cluster,
with redundancy.

To give http urls redundancy  you need multiple hosts responding to the
same hostname, which either needs a fancy router (=failure point),
dynamic DNS configuration or  rendezvous-style mDNS hosts, and JVMs that
have their IP caching parameters tuned to give hostname->IPaddr mapping
lifetimes down to minutes.

-steve