[cddlm] deployment API: next draft

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Mon May 30 17:23:10 CDT 2005

This is my revised draft. there are lots of changes, which is wh change
tracking is turned on; so you can see.

Some key points

-SHOULD/MUST where appropriate

-in a few places where stuart didnt agree with things, i removed the
stuff altogether, opting for implementation ambiguity. example: best way
to retrieve remote URLs in fileUpload

-fileUpload now takes a schema element that lets you say "http", "file",
"ftp", "ivy", whatever -relying on the implementation to support what
you ask (or you get an error), and returns a list of URIs that are all
resolvable URLs to the uploaded file.

-pulled the xsd:any dynamic state stuff from the portal; use WSDM for that.

-added capabilities for system and portal endpoints in MUWS.

-XSD/WSDL as appendices with the proper URLs for the locations. Stuart,
if you need to do the same thing, look at how build.xml automates the
latter fixup in patch-api.

I am now going offline for the rest of the week, not checking email
until next monday. And at that point I will focus on getting a CDL
parser working for GGF, so do not intend to spend any more time on this
doc. If we are going to ship to GGF, it needs to go as is. If not, then
not. I leave that to the rest of the group to decide. Personally, I
think it is about as ready as you can get without actually building an
implementation, but then I am a believer of XP/iterative development,
rather than waterfall process, which is what we seem to have here.

-steve