[cddlm] Schema Policy

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Thu Mar 3 07:36:21 CST 2005

Steve Loughran wrote:

> Stuart, Dejan and myself had a phone discussion with some of the WSDM
> team yesterday, then Stuart and I discussed what our policy should be.
> Here it is
>
> 1. We will use draft-0.1 of the OASIS versions of WS-RF, WS-N for our
> WSRF schemas.
>
> 2. We will use wsa: to refer to WSA 2003/04 everywhere . Our addresses
> will be compatible with the draft of WS-N
>
> 3. We will declare the wsa2004: alias to the WSA 2004/08 namespace. This
> will only be used in returning MOWS identity references.
>
> 4. We indent to update this stuff when the underlying specifications are
> standardises. Specifically, once WSA becomes a W3C release, and the
> WSRF, WSN, WSDM specs are updated to reflect that change, then we will
> move too. We are not going to chase latest versions of other peoples
> specs when some of the core underpinnings are still unstable, as it
> vastly complicates the interoperability story. There will be no attempt
> to revisit the versions until that point, so people can work with the
> CDDLM specification knowing that we are not going to update it every month.

5. We will keep copies of the specifications we use under SCM in the
sourceforge project that hosts the schemas. This is the only way to
ensure that the specifications will remain available and consistent.

It is worth noting that despite the fact that WSDM is based on WSRF
1.2-draft0.1, not all the relevant XSD files are where they need to be
for that spec, ws-basefaults has disappeared. By hosting locally we
avoid this problem.

We do have to patch the XSD/WSDL files so that they import files
locally, rather than try and do it from remote (potentially nonexistant)
locations. This leads to an interesting problem, the oasis copyright:

--------
This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
on all such copies and derivative works. However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
or references to OASIS, except as needed for the purpose of developing
OASIS specifications, in which case the procedures for copyrights
defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights document must be
followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than English.
--------

It is unclear whether fixing the XSD/WSDL files so that they work
constitutes "derivative works to assist in implementation" or "a
modification". I am requesting clarification on this matter.

Sigh.

-steve