[cddlm] In preparation for the CDDLM/ACS joint session at GGF14

Keisuke Fukui kfukui at labs.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 24 18:12:28 CDT 2005

Steve,

I snipped a part.

Steve Loughran wrote:

> As long as references to content can be supplied as URLS, urls that the
> programs/JVMs on the hosts can resolve, then we could do (2) and (3)
> without a CDDLM implementation needing to know about how those URLs are
> supported. That does imply HTTP/FTP/File, but since both .NET and Java
> have a way of letting you plug in new URL handlers. If you had a new
> url, something like
>
> acs://app/124/component/12
>
> then we could handle it, though I would strongly advocate using HTTP as
> way of retrieving things. not only do all apps support it out the box,
> it is easier to debug in a web browser

Does this mean the HTTP is your first recommendation for the component
to pull the files?

> There are two more use cases,
>
> -your asset store is used as the back end by an implementation of the
> CDDLM services. That is, someone uses <addFile> to add a file, and the
> request is forwarded to the ACS repository to add a new file to the
> application. Would that work?

I think it's among the doable possibilities.
We however understood <addFile> is descried as an interim solution which can
be not used if an external asset store is used. The asset store can have
its own repository interface other than <addFile>.

Your point is to keep <addFile> in common among the implementations and the
components use HTTP to pull the things from there. So you expect external
repositories implement <addFile> as an native interface.
Is this correct understanding?

> -the results of a job are somehow placed into the asset store, for later
> retrieval by the submitter. This is out the scope of CDDLM; whatever you
> deploy needs to handle that submission process.

We have discussed about storing the "output" of the job, but that is
pending, since the output can be variable per execution. I personally
doubt if this is sufficiently persistant or stable information that worth
stored in the repository.

> Asset stores are a trouble spot with me in the past; they have caused
> inordinate amounts of problems, at least when you are trying to use one
> built on MSSQL and classic IIS/ASP. Here are some things that I recall
> being troublesome
>  -many file systems cannot have > 65535 files in a single dir, so you
> had better not use too flat a filesystem
>  -if the NAS filestore is set to the GMT tz and the server in PST, it
> doesnt make any difference whether or not the clocks themselves are
> syncrhonized; the auto-cleanup process is going to delete new files
> under the assumption that they are out of date.
>  -its very hard to secure stuff
>  -any HTTP data provider must support HTTP/1.1 or at least
> content-length headers, so that the caller can determine that the
> supplied content was incomplete
>
> As with most things, everything worked in development, it is only when
> you go to production, put the asset store 1200km away from the rendering
> service and keep the files on a different host from the database that
> things start to go wrong.

Let us think about http a little more.

I'm looking forward to see you at our joint session.

  -Keisuke