[cddlm] Question on cdl:types

Stuart Schaefer Sschaefer at softricity.com
Thu Jun 23 09:11:12 CDT 2005

In implementing cdl:types, I have run into a few questions:

To define types, you need to do what the full-example-1.cdl document
taken from the CDL spec does.

<cdl:types>

    <xsd:schema>

    </xsd:schema>

  </cdl:types>

But, if we allow any random XML from any namespace in there as the CDL
schema does, then I have to go sorting around dumping what is
uninteresting, and finding if there is really any schema to be had.  I
know it is valid, it is just a lot of extra work.

There is also a problem with defining multiple schemas within the
cdl:types element.  In order to support multiple schemas, the
cdl:cdl/@targetNamespace attribute has to be multivalued or multiply
defined.  Is this the expectation?

It is really easy to change

<cdl:types>?

     <cdl:documentation .../>?

     <-- schema definition -->*

     <-- extensibility element -->*

  </cdl:types>

<cdl:types>?

     <-- schema definition -->

</cdl:types>

In this way, there is one local schema and one targetNamespace
attribute.

Also, what is the "extensibility element"?

Stuart