[cddlm] CDL and namespaces

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Wed Jun 15 11:48:46 CDT 2005

As implement extends, I find tests failing and have to decide if they
are real failures or not. Here is my current one.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cdl:cdl
xmlns:cdl="http://www.gridforum.org/namespaces/2005/02/cddlm/CDL-1.0"
   xmlns="http://example.org/webapps" >
   <cdl:configuration>
     <server>
       <port>8080</port>
       <security>true</security>
       <webapps/>
     </server>

   </cdl:configuration>
   <cdl:system>

     <tomcat cdl:extends="server">
       <basedir>
       </basedir>
     </tomcat>
   </cdl:system>
</cdl:cdl>

This file fails to resolve extends="server" because the
xmlns="http://example.org/webapps" declaration puts the     server
declaration into that ns.

My extends lookup logic assumes that any localname without a namespace
is in the empty namepace.

Question is, is that the right assumption?

The other, perfectly valid one, would be to say that any localname in an
extends declaration is in the same namespace as the element that is
being extended. To get something in the empty namespace, I'd have to say
extends=":something".

I dont see anything in the spec which covers this issue, so will file
this as an issue on ggf.org.

-steve