[cddlm] Draft of deployment API

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Mon Jan 24 16:29:46 CST 2005

This is the version of the deployment API I'd like to discuss on
wednesday. It is not ready yet, because the WSDL is still unfinished.
Note the lack of faults in the typedefs, and the new WSDL that uses all
these types is still to be done. I need to build up a system that
processes WSRF to make sure that the API is actually valid.

But the text of the deployment API is what I intend to do, so that's
what we can review. Notice the limited file upload mechanism I've
implemented, which leads to a use pattern of

system=portal.create(options)
length=system.addFile("nap:chemical+brothers","application/binary",databaseRpm);
assert(length==databaseRpm.length());
system.init(jsdl,deploymentDescriptor);
system.run();

That is, you dont pass up the JSDL or deployment descriptor at create
time, only when you initialise it. And you can add files before you
initialise it, so their URIs are resolvable during initialisation.

For this to work we need to mandate that URIs of added files are
resolved in deployment descriptor (and jsdl descriptor) processing
before going out to the rest of the network; a small bit of XML parser
configuration.

To actually use the URIs in apps is another issue; I dont want to even
think that actual running apps in their own processes have access to
this uri->file mapping. We'll need a component that copies stuff from
remote URIs to local filesystem (which, for this uploaded stuff, may be
just a copy, not a download)

I'm offline for the next 24 hours, but will speak to you all on Wednesday.

-steve