[cddlm] SF-based language spec, dilemma whether to go with a recommendations or common practice document track

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Sat Dec 11 13:38:17 CST 2004

Hi Dejan, Greg,

I appreciate your efforts to choose most appropriate category for
this document. I feel regret that "community practice" is not
applicable for the SF-based language spec.

Dejan: I understand your dilemma, but may I re-state my biggest
concern for this issue? I believe that interoperability of CDDLM
services among multiple implementations should achieved by
XML-CDL language.

>From the GGF11 session minutes;
> Note that the SF CDL is intended to be more user-friendly /
> user-tractable, while the XML CDL is more standardised, is the interop
> format (i.e. we can translate from various front ends into the XML
> form), but is less user-friendly to use directly.

Expecting or encouraging the second implementation of SF-CDL
is bad idea, IMHO. For wider adoption of the CDL, implementation of
XML-CDL should be promoted.

Thus, the CDDLM-WG should publish XML-CDL language spec as
recommendation and SF-CDL language spec NOT as recommendation.
Otherwise, you will mislead the community by sending confused
message.

On the contrary, are there any issues if SF-CDL language spec becomes
informational document? I see no formality problems on informational
document because it is stable, open, and has clear IPR.

Thanks,
----
Hiro Kishimoto