[cddlm] Deployment API draft

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Tue Dec 7 17:02:37 CST 2004

This is an early draft of the deployment API; feedback welcome

Feedback on the formatting (esp. those 4 column tables) not needed,
as I know of them. This doc is actually autogenerated from docbook, so
if openjade cant
handle the tables, we can switch to something else. I'm also planning
on auto-including the accompanying XML schemas and constants files
through the
wonders of XSL.

I worry about how to do a design that is fault tolerant without
requiring that every node
supports inbound WSRF calls and then instianting the application EPR on
the same
node as the app itself. The design I have allows the application EPR to
be instantiated on
a separate server, which leaves you with the problem "how do you rebind
to the app
if the front end server you are using goes belly up". I note that
Globus4 has the same
design, but haven't seen how they solve the fault tolerance problem.

For the curious, the underlying issue is that a wsa:EPR contains the URL
of the endpoint
for the SOAP call. If the server goes away, the EPR is invalid. WSRF
hints that WS-Policy
can enable renewal, but doesnt cover it. Maybe they looked at the CORBA
oid tracking
documents and got scared off.

I 36 hours from going off on holiday/vacation till January 2. No laptop;
no email. This
deployment API is in SCM on the deployment.sf.net project; if people
send me their
sourceforge usernames before  2004-12-08Z1800 I will give them access to
the repository to add this, the XSD/WSDL
for the other specs, etc, etc.

-Steve
-steve