[CCGT] GridWorld/GGF15 Community Program

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer wulf at ggf.org
Wed Jul 20 16:40:50 CDT 2005

cc: Community Council, Ann Collins

Hi Geoffrey,

One issue that I would like to discuss on next week's call is a policy
proposal to the Event Steering Committee for community program registration
waivers.  As you know, we budgeted a limited amount of waived registrations
and granted these on a case-by-case basis for GGF14.  Moving forward
(particularly in light of our relationship with IDG), we should have a
clear policy on how/if these should be granted.  I would like to propose
this policy to the ESC next Thursday - if approved, the next step is a
formal request to IDG (who is managing the budget for GridWorld).

Initial questions (for the community council):
*Are registration waivers for community program speakers necessary?
*Should registration waivers be offered to all community program speakers
or limited to tutorial instructors, invited speakers, etc?
*Will withholding any waivers adversely affect the ability to attract the
quality of speakers desired for the Community Program?

I will request that Ann work with IDG to determine the costs associated
with registration waivers for GridWorld and should be able to provide
numbers soon for consideration in our proposal (i.e., cost per person for
day passes vs. full week reg).  Presuming we have 2 speakers for each of
our 90 minute slots, we are looking at a total of 46 people.

Also, as an FYI:
The community cfp (along with an online submission form) has been linked at
http://www.ggf.org/ggf_events_ggf15.htm and blast email was sent today.  We
have received workshop proposals from life sciences and 'campus grids' from
PGS-RG.

Julie

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer
Manager of Community Development