[Capi-bof] Charter for Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) Working Group

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Mar 25 08:06:57 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Ignacio Martin Llorente <
llorente at dacya.ucm.es> wrote:

> - "Workload" could be confusing, there are other WGs working on "job
> workloads", for example SAGA or DRMAA, we could say "IaaS based services"

The term is deliberately vague because I expect it to transform with time -
I just didn't talk about this because I didn't want us to get too far ahead
of ourselves.

To illustrate, say our API were to allow for the deployment and
instantiation of an OVF virtual machine today, there would be nothing to
stop us from (later on) deciding to allow people to upload arbitrary
workloads like debian packages, python eggs, ruby gems, java WAR/EARs, etc.
This gives us an easy path to cover PaaS/SaaS later on.

Basically the way I see the API looking initially is that you can upload
your virtual machines and depending on the mime-type (e.g. OVF vs AMI vs
VMware vs Xen vs Hyper-V) it will be shipped off by the govern[at]or to an
appropriate hypervisor. The number of formats supported will become a key
differentiator for vendors and providers.

When and if we want to also cover PaaS we just add a few primatives
(assuming that's even necessary - applications are started, stopped and
restarted and have memory, storage, etc. allocations like like VMs).

> - I understand that the API will manage (create, cancel, shutdown, pool...)
> the life-cycle of the "entities" offered by IaaS clouds, where entity could
> mean Virtual Machine, and potentially slide and physical resource. Why have
> you added the management of the container?

The object model will become clearer as we assess existing APIs, but there
will likely need to be some management of images (uploading, security, etc.)
independently of the containers (which may be reserved, for example, as in
the case of Amazon EC2, or tied to storage devices and/or networks,
depending on which object carries this information).

Sam

Regards