[Capi-bof] Charter for Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) Working Group

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Mar 25 10:28:39 CDT 2009

> Resending rewritten charter (inline this time).

Thank you for putting it inline.

> Group summary:

> The Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) will deliver a common interface
> for remote management of cloud computing infrastructure, allowing for the
> development of interoperable tools for common tasks including deployment,
> autonomic scaling and monitoring. The scope of the specification will be all
> high level functionality required for the life-cycle management of workloads
> (e.g. virtual machines) and containers (e.g. hypervisors) supporting service
> elasticity.

is the management of the containers in scope?
I'm surprised here, or am I mis-understanding?

> Charter focus/purpose and scope:
> The group will deliver technical documentation of the Open Cloud Computing
> Interface (OCCI) which is sufficiently complete as to allow for the creation
> of interoperable implementations.
>
> It will allow for:
>
> Consumers to interact with cloud computing infrastructure on an ad-hoc basis
> (e.g. deploy, start, stop, restart)
> Integrators to offer advanced management services such as autonomic
> elasticity rules
> Aggregators to offer a single common interface to multiple providers
> Providers to offer a standard interface that is compatible with available
> tools
> Vendors of grids/clouds to offer standard interfaces for dynamically
> scalable service delivery in their products
>
> The scope will be limited to the high level functionality required for
> life-cycle management and will be defined in part by the coverage of
> existing proprietary APIs. In particular, storage and networking details
> beyond creation and mapping of mount points and interfaces respectively is
> specifically excluded.

Is it in scope for me to indicate that my collection of virtual machines
all having an interface named "McrPrivate" should be connected together
into a LAN, and that interfaces marked "Internet" should be connected to
the outside?

> The resulting interface will be clear and concise, standards based (RESTful
> HTTP) and thus easily implemented and consumed. As it will be largely
> derived from examination of existing implementations, it can be viewed as a
> "consensus" of the innovation to date.
>
> Goals/deliverables:
> The primary deliverable is a technical specification of the Open Cloud
> Computing Interface (OCCI) in one or more open formats (e.g. DocBook) and
> under an open license (e.g. Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0
> Unported).
>
> Other deliverables that may be created in the process include use cases,
> surveys, presentations, user manuals, implementator guides, etc.
>
> Reference implementation(s) are specifically excluded, as are details
> relating to supporting infrastructure (such as storage and network hardware
> configuration).

Does this mean that the API will not permit me to specify what
"hardware" MAC address should be used on the private network interfaces
that I configure?
(I understand that it won't let me specify IP address, and I don't want
it to)

- --
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[