[Capi-bof] Charter - last call for changes

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Mar 25 08:31:05 CDT 2009

    Thijs> An API for remote management of virtualized resources
    Thijs> (meaning, but not limited to virtual machines), including
    Thijs> manipulation of images and networks.

I still don't like the word "manipulation"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manipulating, #3 says:
    3. 	to adapt or change (accounts, figures, etc.) to suit one's
	purpose or advantage.

and this implies changes to the internal form, which we are trying to
rule out of scope.  We want to manipulate the networks, but not the
images.

Others have used the word orchestrate:
  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orchestrate

definition:
1. 	to compose or arrange (music) for performance by an orchestra.
2. 	to arrange or manipulate, esp. by means of clever or thorough
	planning or maneuvering: to orchestrate a profitable trade agreement.

After playing with the "visual thesaurus" a bit, I eliminated:
      engineer
      direct
      train
      conduct

and I suggest the word "manoeuver" as being what we want to do with
images.  In my imagination, I see a large Volvo delivery truck being
"manoeuvered" up to a loading dock...

--
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[