[Capi-bof] Charter - last call for changes

Thijs Metsch Thijs.Metsch at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 24 06:18:41 CDT 2009

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for your reply! see the inline comments :-)

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:52 +0100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> Thanks Thijs.
>
> I think we've still got a bit of work to do on the charter so perhaps
> we can finalise for Friday, pushing the last call out to
> Monday/Tuesday for Wednesday's steering committee meeting? Otherwise
> we've essentially got until tomorrow to get it tightened up.

Okay we can shift it out till monday evening 5pm CET.

>  - The group name is important (e.g. for SEO) and CAPI clashes not
> only with the ISDN stuff but also Microsoft's Cryptography API and a
> bunch of commercial interests. It should also be obvious what we're
> doing - "Cloud API" is meaningless and IaaS-API is too "aas"y. CIA has
> obvious problems so how about CIAPI, CI-API or CCI-API?

I like Alexis's proposal of OCCI or from you OCII. Any other thoughts?

>  - The focus is still on virtual machines when there are actually
> three types of "containers" we're wanting to control:
>  * Physical machines
>  * Virtual machines
>  * Lightweight virtual machines (zones, vservers, slices, etc.)
> I would suggest adopting the term "workload" in place of "virtual
> machine" (which could come in the form of a physical server image,
> virtual machine, tgz chroot, etc.) and using "container" in place of
> hypervisor, server, zone, chroot, etc.

I'll try to take that into account and rewrite the parts.

>  - Networking is a bottomless pit - I was thinking about this
> yesterday after the call and given work F5, VMware, Cisco and others
> are doing in this area I think it may not be necessary for us to get
> too involved. Having worked on the Netscaler APIs at Citrix I can
> assure you there is more to this area than meets the eye. All a VM
> needs is a connection to the outside world - it doesn't care about
> firewalling, load balancing, failover, etc.
>
>  - Ditto for storage - a workload just (optionally) needs pool(s) of
> storage to be mounted for it... it doesn't care whether it's RAID etc.

Any ideas on howto proceed here? Drop it? Point to existing solutions,
Take it in account?

> I would personally like to see a tight, clean API developed which is
> easy to consume on the user side (think curl/wget) and easy to
> implement on the provider side (minimal calls, as close as possible to
> the "consensus" of what exists today).

that would be nice :-)

All the best,

-Thijs