[Capi-bof] Overview

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Mar 10 06:32:41 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Thijs Metsch <Thijs.Metsch at sun.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:04 +0100, Alexander Papaspyrou wrote:
> > Am 10.03.2009 um 10:42 schrieb Thijs Metsch:
> >
> > > CAPI is indeed a little bit confusing. But Cloud Interface API would
> > > lead to the abbreviation CIA :-) We are still open for suggestion
> > > for a
> > > better abbreviation and name. But for now we probably have to stick
> > > with
> > > capi.
> >
> > Cloud Management Interface (CMI) could be an option. However, I didn't
> > check whether that's also overloaded (sigh)...
>
> Good idea, but it seems like CMI also stands for Chronic Mental
> Illness...and some organizations also use it :-( Not easy to find a good
> name *sigh*

Bear in mind that for many of us "cloud" goes well beyond infrastructure too
- see my Cloud Platform Reference Architecture[1] from yesterday for
example. In any case it's better to have an acronym that is not already in
use in this context (CAPI is still alive and kicking for the foreseeable
future), and it need not be a TLA either - the existing one isn't. Should
probably avoid common ones (CIA) and negative ones (CMI).

Funny story about the old Australian Department of Education, Employment and
Youth Affairs (DEETYA) - turns out this means "old prostitute" in vietnamese
or some such thing.

Back on topic, I'd suggest something like:

Cloud Infrastructure Management Interface (CIMI)
Cloud Infrastructure Management API (CIMA[PI])
etc.
IMI and IMA drop the "cloud" and Citrix use IMA for their "Independent
Management Architecture".

Of those CIMI would probably be my preference.

Sam

1. http://wiki.cloudcommunity.org/wiki/Standards#Platform