[caops-wg] Fwd: Change in Subject Alternative Names policy for host certificates issued by the CERN CA

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Fri May 19 06:55:21 EDT 2017

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paolo Tedesco <Paolo.Tedesco at cern.ch<mailto:Paolo.Tedesco at cern.ch>>
Date: May 19, 2017 at 4:24:30 AM CDT
To: "dg-eur-ca at services.cnrs.fr<mailto:dg-eur-ca at services.cnrs.fr>" <dg-eur-ca at services.cnrs.fr<mailto:dg-eur-ca at services.cnrs.fr>>
Cc: Emmanuel Ormancey <Emmanuel.Ormancey at cern.ch<mailto:Emmanuel.Ormancey at cern.ch>>, Thomas Baron <Thomas.Baron at cern.ch<mailto:Thomas.Baron at cern.ch>>, Daniel Fernandez Rodriguez <daniel.fernandez at cern.ch<mailto:daniel.fernandez at cern.ch>>
Subject: Change in Subject Alternative Names policy for host certificates issued by the CERN CA

Dear all,

As you probably know, recently Google Chrome has stopped supporting the common name in host certificates (https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/security-dev/IGT2fLJrAeo/csf_1Rh1AwAJ) and now expects the certificate to contain a DNS Subject Alternative Name.

After this change, we have started receiving support cases for the CERN Certification Authority about CERN certificates being rejected by Chrome.

For this reason, we would like to introduce a new requirement in our CP/CPS, stating that host certificate requets must contain a SAN in DNS format matching the host in the certificate subject.

I'm attaching the updated CP/CPS document for review. The changed sections are 4.1.2 (for host certificates autoenrollment) and 4.2.1 (for user submitted requests).

If I don't get any objections by Monday 5 June, I'll publish the updated CP/CPS and proceed to update the tools and the website to be compliant with the new policies.

Best regards,
Paolo