[caops-wg] Requirements and rationale for Relying Party Defined Namespace Constraints (signing_policy file)

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Sat Mar 1 08:09:57 CST 2008

Hi David

I think this document is fundamentally flawed. This is either because it
reflects the grid security infrastructure which is fundamentally flawed,
or the document does not and therefore is in error. I refer to the sentence:

As many grid authentication and authorization decisions based on X.509
credentials currently only use the subject distinguished name for
decision making

This is in effect saying that the CA is the SOA and there is no
difference between authn and authz. Authn and Authz operate at the same
level of granularity. There are no authz certificates, only PKI certs.
This is the first fundamental flaw. This must be a flaw in the grid
architecture and not in the operation of CAs. But you seem to be placing
the responsibility for your merging of authn and authz on the CAs, and
blaming them for this.

This first flaw naturally leads into the second fundamental flaw.

The next issue is that what you are really wanting to ensure is that the
correct biological entity has access to a grid resource. This entity can
be given one or more globally unique DNs. Further, there is nothing to
stop several CAs giving certificates to the same biological entity and
using the same DN. If the entity can prove possession of that DN (e.g.
based on passport number) then it is OK for multiple CAs to issue certs
in the same DN. After all, all the CAs should be doing is authenticating
the user. Your current draft forbids this, which again is a fundamental
flaw, probably because authn is tightly bound to authz. However, this
might be because many CAs are flawed and do not do what they are
supposed to, which is authenticate the user and his right to use a
specific DN. If the CA behaves correctly you have nothing to worry
about. If it does not, then you are correct to worry. If the same DN can
be given to two different biological entities by the same or different
CAs, then you have a big (unsurmountable) problem. Your entire
infrastructure is unreliable since your authentication mechanism is
unreliable. Even OpenID does not suffer from this problem. You might not
know who the other person is with OpenID, but for sure you know that two
different people cannot have the same OpenID. Perhaps you should
consider switching to OpenID as your authentication mechanism. OpenID
with a strong authorisation mechanism will be far preferrable to what
you have today.

regards

David

David Groep wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The rationale for the signing policy file, expressing Relying Party Defined
> Namespace Constraints, has been documented in a CAOPS-WG draft document.
> This
> document is now nearing completion, but as its baseline is now more than
> two
> years old, we feel that the list of requirements on the signing policy
> language expressed in that document may no longer be up to date.
>
> As we discussed in the CAOPS WG, we have updated the document and now
> invite
> our major relying parties and middleware providers explicitly to comment on
> this document. Dave (JSPG), Christoph (MWSG) and Frank (Globus), can you
> forward this as appropriate?
>
> The latest document draft is at:
>
>   https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc4857
>   (PDF version attached)
>
> and is really, really, small.
>
> We like to complete this document well before the Barcelona OGF in May, so
> your timely feedback is really, really welcome. And since the doc is
> small...
>
>     Thanks,
>     DavidG.
>
> PS: We will also ask to "end-user" relying parties via the IGTF and
> EUGridPMA
> announcement newsletter.

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184