[caops-wg] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Subject Alternative Name for expression of service name' to Proposed Standard

Mike Helm helm at fionn.es.net
Wed May 30 16:02:26 CDT 2007

Alan Sill writes:
> FYI.  May be of interest for solving problems associated with
> verification of association of a service certificate with a
> particular DNS record.

DNS SRV is more of a discovery capability than anything else, no?
If you actually use this, it would certainly be useful, but it seems
that DNS SRV has not really penetrated the marketplace much outside
of Microsoft.   a) We seem to have stuck to host naming as the
principle identifier for services (eg ldap.example.com, www.example.com) and
b) a lot of our discoveries need to be for services that span multiple
domains (eg where is the ATLAS file set server for me?).

Different/better opinions?

Thanks, ==mwh
Michael Helm
ESnet/LBNL